Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Donna's Life

This story won’t be the hilarious, tongue-in-cheek parody of country life and the antics of five fun-filled little girls, the sort I have poured into a typewriter and posted with the thought of sharing with the world our wonderful childhood. Instead, it is why I have apparently ceased to function and live a normal life, much less compose anything of a humorous nature in the past days and months.

There is a Demon in my life, looming large and always lurking around every corner with the intent to shatter my everyday world, spreading it’s gloom and doom to me and all who surround me. This monster is Depression. It drains the life out of me, taking away physical as well and mental strength. It saps the emotions from the soul of anyone who has it and effects those whose lives are connected. Nothing matters to me. I try to work up a bit of enthusiasm for ANYTHING and it is impossible. I can’t focus on an occupation for any amount of time. My mind wanders when I try to play a game or read a book. Concentrating long enough to watch a television program is useless. I get so tired sitting on the couch, I have to lie down and rest. I stay up all night because, even with a sleeping aid, I rarely sleep. Even when I do, I wake up exhausted and unable to function. I can barely make myself move, much less lead the active life I have always enjoyed. Most days, I don’t even want to try. The least thing makes me cry.

Suffering from Depression is bad enough, but even worse is no one understands how I feel. I can’t describe it to them, they just don’t get it. I have been told to “Snap out of it!’, or to “Get over it!” more times than I can count. Doesn’t anyone realize that no one would purposely choose to live this way? It is a living Hell, with no end; a succession of days when death looks like a release from the anguish of dealing with this everyday of the rest of my life. There is no cure and treatments have their own drawbacks. I have been on treatment for over 8 years, the pills no longer help that much. The Doctor suggested doubling them, I can’t do that. The medicines used to treat it, over a period of time, kills whatever emotions I have that still work. I feel dead inside, my life is hopelessly spiraling downward and I don’t have a clue how to stop it. I am afraid, the future looks very bleak for me, and I don’t know where to find the strength to get up everyday. I am tired, so deathly tired that doing anything is a chore. Simply putting on my clothes is a major undertaking. I struggle everyday to just make it till bedtime, and God willing, to find the energy to rise once again in the morning.

I haven’t given up, not by a long shot. This ole gal won’t go down easy. I have fought every day for the past eight years and will continue to until my last breath. I will be back, ya’ll, that I promise. I have licked this before and will again. But today, please, for me, just ask God to send some strength to me, cause I truly need it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl, you gotta get out of that house!! I finally got a day off, and I'll by by to drag your butt out. Be ready, because I know you'll go kicking and screaming, but YOU WILL GO. Love Sis

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have a sister like that! I live with the same problem and I know how helpful it can be to have someone to help kickstart you every once in a while.

Keep up the fight!

Omni said...

Donna, everyone in my family, including ME, suffers from depression and/or anxiety, so I know what you're going through... and there ARE things you can do to make it better:

One thing you can do is start a new policy; the next time someone tells you to "snap out of it," reply that, since depression has been proven to be a PHYSICAL illness (an imbalance of chemicals in the brain), what they've said is equivalent of telling someone to "snap out of" CANCER... the looks on their faces will empower you no end.

The biggest thing you can do is go to a new doctor; if all your current one can do is suggest doubling the dosage of pills that you've been taking for years, you are NOT going to the right doctor... because so many NEW and superior meds have come out in recent years that if you're not taking one of them you are NOT getting the best care. Frankly, even if you WERE being given the latest thing, and it wasn't working, if the doctor doesn't immediately switch you to another regimen you are NOT getting proper care. Find a psychiatrist, NOT a general doctor who has no clue, and give him or her a clear description of your symptoms, even as they affect things like your appetite and libido, and see what they suggest.

There are literally HUNDREDS of psych meds available now, in nearly infinite combinations; very, very few people have to just live with depression these days. They might have to try several things on you before they find what works, but it's almost certain that something WILL work... all you have to do is start the process of getting help. Ignore the people you find online who say they've "tried everything" and nothing worked; when questioned, it always ends up that these people have only tried a handful of meds and then given up... and YOU will NOT give up, right?

If you can't deal with switching doctors or meds right now, something you can do to make things better for yourself is exercise; studies have shown that exercising for 45 minutes 3 times a week will help you as much as being on many prescriptions... and you'll feel less out of control when you see that you CAN make things a little better.

I strongly encourage you to pursue the meds option as soon as you can; with the newest meds, within literally 3-4 days you can feel like a whole new person... and you DESERVE that!! Whatever choice you make, I'll send you some white light of healing, and hope that things will get better for you.

Unknown said...

See, there are people who are pulling to you. Listen to Omni, she's a smart lady. If you don't believe it so read her blog. Come and get out with me once in a while. We'll go walking. Or to play put-put. I promise, nothing that will be too rough on your knees! Love Ya Sis

Anonymous said...

... we love ya, you know.. when I first came over here, I was totally amazed and enthralled by your stories... you have a lot of life, babe....

... now, after reading this, I am worried... I had hoped that your sabbatical from posting your incredible stories was due to business, lack of time, or a new love... finding out that it is because of depression crushes me...

... Donna, you have an insight, and a poetry in you that is beautiful... do not underestimate the power of sharing it with people... your family.. your friends.. or us...

all of the very best to you,

Eric

Pisser said...

*ridiculously positive thoughts and flowers*

x!