Sunday, July 11, 2004

Visits With Death

We buried my Father-in-law yesterday. He had been battling cancer for a year. Almost thee weeks to the day we buried my Mother. My family has been decimated by grief. My children have lost 2 of their grandparents within a three week period of time. Each and everyone of us are walking casualties of the worst life can throw at you. The trials of death do not pass when the grave is closed it seems. We are left with an empty spot in our hearts no one can ever fill. A hollow ache in our souls and a silence that will never again echo with the sound of our loved one’s voice. Even tho God’s promise means a happier future and a joyous reunion with our loved ones who have gone before us, to the ones who remain behind, death is a lonely place that seems never-ending.

My Dad is grief stricken still. Never has he been less than a rock where we were concerned. It is actually scary to see him lose that confidence, the will to be leader. How can we, as daughters and still considered children, help him? We try, but we can never replace Mom. And wouldn’t want to. But it seems the harder we try, the more he pulls away. Seeing his tears wretches my soul and visiting the cemetery and viewing the roses he has planted in the ground on his daily visits to Mom, both makes me smile and breaks my heart. My Dad was always the strong one. Mom was the anchor of our family ship, Daddy was the wind in the sail who kept us going no matter what. We persevere and pray that tomorrow will be better. As long as we remember Mom, she is here, guiding us until we meet again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poetic as hell, Sis. Careful, you may become a writer. You captured the feelings all of us girls have.